Wow! An easy homemade mosquito repellent without chemicals. That was my exclamation after trying out this recipe.
Mosquitos can be real trouble, it would be absolutely perfect if it weren’t affected by them. Are you their living target too?
Personally, every time I spend the evening outside during the summer season, it is certain that I get bitten at least 48 times.
Looks like I’m one of the 20% of people who look especially delicious on mosquitoes. Why elsewhere?
This would apparently be due to a mix of our blood type (O is their favorite), our exercise frequency/metabolism, bacteria on the surface of our skin, what we eat/drink, and even the color of our clothes!
So while mosquito repellent is a must, that doesn’t mean spraying yourself with an astronomical amount of DEET will be the solution.
This ingredient in most commercial mosquito repellants is effective and considered safe, but it remains a controversial product.
Do not use too much and you must respect the doses. It’s an irritant, it smells bad and on top of that, it can damage clothes, backpacks, and watches. An alternative, please?
We have it for you here! Here is a homemade mosquito repellent recipe made from essential oils. Is it as effective? Maybe a little less, but unlike DEET, you can reapply it often (every hour or so, or even more). So don’t be shy!
The Best Essential Oils to Keep Off Mosquitoes
These are the 4 Essential Oils That Mosquitoes Hate
Indeed, many plants have developed means to protect themselves from insect infestations during their evolution, which we can also take advantage of.
Combine them all for maximum effectiveness, or use a few at a time depending on what you have on hand. On the other hand, the more there is, the more effective it is.
To replace DEET, it is the oil that the EWG organization recommends as the first line as protection against mosquitoes and ticks.
Native to Australia, this plant has a very strong characteristic smell which mosquitoes hate!
Unlike other essential oils, which are more volatile and evaporate faster, this one lasts for several hours. It is therefore the one to be favored above all!
Cliganic USDA Organic Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- USDA Certified Organic Eucalyptus Oil – the strict oversight of USDA ensures the integrity of our Essential Oils.
- 100% Pure, Only One Ingredient – Our Premium Essential Oils are 100% Pure & Natural – No Additives, Alcohol-Free, No Added-Fragrance and Not Diluted.
This strong-smelling essential oil is well known, which is used in many commercial products, such as mosquito repellent candles.
Interesting: this plant doesn’t necessarily repel insects, but rather masks the smells that attract them to us. Its effectiveness increases when combined with … vanilla. Well!
The tea tree ( tea tree or melaleuca ): No natural product is truly miraculous, but this oil is still quite incredible!
It is antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic; it can be used in a host of DIY beauty products, such as deodorant, acne mask, or makeup remover wipes.
Handcraft Lemongrass Essential Oil
- 100% PURE & NATURAL LEMONGRASS OIL- Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!!
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential Oils are tested by an independent lab to test the efficacy of each oil.
An oil first associated with relaxation, but also used as a natural mosquito repellent for many moons!
Do you know this tradition of using small lavender sachets in drawers containing clothes? It’s not just because it smells good, but also and above all because it repels insects, like moths for example.
The smell repels mosquitoes, but also lice, ladybugs, and flies.
Majestic Pure Lavender Oil
- Majestic Pure Lavender Oil; blend of two (2) pure lavender oil; Lavandula angustifolia from Bulgaria and Lavandula hybrida from France.
- Aroma: Best sampled on a test strip or tissue to allow the aroma to breathe, evolve and open up; top note with a strong aroma, it has a rich floral scent.
Even though this smell is quite pleasant, insects hate it. This oil even kills mosquito larvae on contact.
Other essential oils have shown some effectiveness in warding off mosquitoes, however a little less than those named above.
Majestic Pure Peppermint Essential Oil
- Majestic Pure Peppermint Essential Oil – Pure and natural peppermint oil; non-toxic, no additives, unfiltered and undiluted with no fillers.
- Peppermint offers multiple household uses; it provides a wonderful cooling sensation; Our oil is non-toxic and great for use around homes and gardens.
The Easy Homemade Mosquito Repellent Recipe
You will need a plastic bottle with a spray tip, which you can get at dollar stores or other big box stores.
Having said that, consider recycling a bottle you already have first; once finished and washed, it can still be used repeatedly.
No need to limit yourself to plastic either! Metal and glass work great too.
It’s a good idea to make this recipe in a few small bottles rather than one big one. That way, you can bring it in a handbag, to the beach, in a backpack, leave one in the car, etc.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of witch hazel
- 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 1 C. tablespoons of rubbing alcohol or neutral alcohol (vodka for example)
- 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1/4 tsp. Tea of pure vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and pour it into a spray-tip bottle (s) using a funnel.
- Avoid mucous membranes during application. For the face, spray in the hands then apply with them.
- Also, spray on clothing.
- Shake the bottle before each application, since the water and oil separate naturally.
- It is possible to double the recipe or reduce it by half. If you have too much for your bottle, keep the rest in a mason jar in a cabinet.
This easy homemade mosquito repellent is effective and cost-effective. Use it as required.